Expectations of Athletes
As an athlete of the Red Deer Club, I understand and agree to abide by the following:
- Compete & participate in a spirit of fair play and honesty.
- Compete & participate within the rules of Athletics outlined by the following AA, AC, IAAF.
- Arrive early before scheduled practices and be ready to start on time and put in your best effort.
- Strive for personal improvement.
- Avoid the use, advocating, condoning, promotion and distribution of banned substances, cases and methods as outlined in the handbook on Drug Classification published by the Canadian Centre for Ethics in Sport.
- Refrain from using tobacco / alcohol products within the training and competition arena. This includes victory celebrations at a competition site and if of legal age in any province or state, I will consume these products responsibly in association with AA, AC, IAAF at any social events.
- Refrain from using profane, insulting, harassing or otherwise offensive language in practice and competition.
- Address fellow athletes, coaches, officials, volunteers, event organizers, spectators, media and others associated with Athletics in a courteous and respectful manner.
- Act in a manner that will bring credit to the Red Deer Titans Track & Field Club, the Athletics community and to you, both within and outside the competition arena.
- Respect an individuals’ dignity; verbal or physical behaviours that constitute harassment or abuse are unacceptable. (Please refer to the Athletics Alberta, and AC Harassment Policy)
- Ensure the safety of others when taking part in your Athletics activity.
- ALSO – Individuals registering as Athlete members of AA Athletics are advised that by doing so they are agreeing to adhere to this and other policies, rules, regulations, by-laws and constitution of Athletics Alberta, Athletics Canada, IAAF.
Any discipline issues arising at a track meet or during regular training times will be discussed with the athlete and if necessary their parents.
If the problem persists or the issue is of a very severe nature the Disciplinary Committee will be used. This group will meet with the athlete and his/her parents and review the details of the situation.
These are the steps that will be followed:
- 1st Step is a verbal warning. Conduct was out of order and we keep a copy of the verbal warning
- 2nd Step is a written warning. We keep a copy and the athlete gets a copy. It outlines what the problem is and what is going to be done about it. At this point, a suspension from attending practices or revoking permission to attend the next meet may be implemented
- 3rd Step is Suspension. At this point a “contract” will be drawn up and expected to be followed or the athlete may be asked not to return to practice with the team